Upgrading kiosk software is an important part of keeping your kiosks running smoothly. And as we always say at Acante, an up-to-date kiosk is a happy kiosk.
OK, fine, we don’t really – but it’s true nonetheless. Software updates will help your kiosks perform at their best, which will in turn result in a more satisfying customer experience.
And, as we always say at Acante, happy customers buy more stuff. OK, fine, we don’t say that either – but again, it’s true nonetheless.
With that in mind, it’s easy to see that upgrading kiosk software is pretty important. Here’s everything you need to know about why and when you should upgrade.
Upgrading kiosk software: why should you do it?
Some companies don’t bother upgrading kiosk software regularly, seeing it as an unnecessary hassle or simply forgetting.
Don’t be one of those companies. Staying up-to-date with the latest software is a great idea for a number of reasons:
- Bug fixes: even the most stringently-tested software can be vulnerable to bugs, or can develop them over time. Software updates usually fix any bugs that have been detected, so upgrading will give you the reassurance that your kiosk software is running as well as it can be.
- Up-to-date features: technology is developing all the time, and software manufacturers are continually working on making their products better, more efficient and easier to use. If you don’t upgrade, you won’t benefit from any of the improved features they introduce.
- Continued support: software manufacturers offer support for their products – but they can’t carry on providing this service indefinitely when software becomes obsolete. When products get too old, fixes will be more difficult and security patches may not work properly.
- Modern appearance: old software often looks old. If you want your business to exude sleekness and cutting-edge style, upgrading kiosk software is absolutely essential.
Upgrading kiosk software: when should you do it?
It’s not always immediately obvious when updates are needed, so it’s a good idea to learn how to recognise the tell-tale signs.
Signs that your kiosk software needs upgrading include:
- Breakdowns: if your system freezes or malfunctions regularly, it may be time for an upgrade.
- Slow performance: if your kiosks are running slower than they usually do, upgrading could be the answer.
- Your software seems old: look at your competitors’ kiosks. Do yours appear old or outmoded in comparison? Don’t get left behind – upgrade!
- You’re upgrading the rest of your systems: your kiosks shouldn’t be an afterthought. If you’re upgrading the rest of your IT systems, get your kiosks in on the action too.
It’s also a good idea to stay current with the software manufacturer. They will announce upcoming updates and offer support on how to implement them, so get on their mailing list, check their website or get in touch if necessary.
And don’t be put off by the idea that upgrading kiosk software will mean you’ll also have to upgrade your hardware. This is a common misconception – updating your software will rarely mean you’ll have to change your hardware.
On the flipside, failing to upgrade could lead to complications that could adversely affect your hardware over time.
Upgrading kiosk software: it’s a no-brainer!
To summarise, we’ll reiterate that classic Acante saying: an up-to-date kiosk is a happy kiosk. So don’t fall behind – get up-to-date!